Re: cell phone auto dials with speaker on?

In article <1130759918.464142.7430@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 "tata" <tatadata@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like some help settling an arugment that has recently occured
> between friends.  Seems that two friends were driving somewhere
> together and during the trip Passenger says "...my cell jostled during
> the ride and it autodialed M's number".  This happened while Driver was
> telling Passenger some VERY personal stories.  M picks up the phone and
> hears only voices, thinking it was a party line, she listened and
> eventually it dawned on her who the speaker was.  Now some backup facts
> might be in order...M is also in the same tiff with Passenger...they
> haven't spoken in weeks and in fact, M has since moved and this call
> came in on her new number, which Passenger had never called before.  Of
> course, the speaker phone must have also been turned on.
>
> My question...is it possible for a cell phone to autodial someone from
> a contact list just by "jostling" the cell phone?  Passenger says M's
> phone number is the second on the list...That means, while sitting
> quietly in the car, Passenger jostled around in her purse enough to tap
> her contact list, down two, dial, and open speaker phone...have I got
> that right?  I don't know what brand cell she's using, but having had
> an exposed keypad cell myself, I must say this sort of sequence never
> happened to me.
>
> Anyone got a good reason this could be an accident?

Many phones support a "speed dial" feature where the first 9 contacts in
the phonebook can be dialed by pressing and holding the appropriate
numbered key.  I'e made many unintentional calls to voicemail in this
manner.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF