Re: Automatic Wheelchair Turntable

Robert,

I'm wondering how mobile your Dad is within the van once the chair is
inside.  Can he exit the chair, take a side step or two and then sit or does
he need to slide from scooter seat to car seat?

The reason I ask is that it may be easier to secure the scooter to the ramp
mechanism than to the floor.  If he can exit the scooter and make his way to
the driver's seat alright, it should be relatively easy to use two or three
modified seat belts to fasten the scooter to the side of the van and/or to
the stowed ramp.

That would at least solve the issue of flying scooters during an accident or
sudden application of the brakes.  Remember you don't need to hit anything
to make a heavy object fly forward.  Just hit the brake at 15+ mph because
some kid chases a ball into the street and you have a 200-lb missile heading
forward at 15mph.  That's more than enough to maim, kill or otherwise insult
someone.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass