Re: Computer audio and external speakers

> Speakers require two wires (usually black and red ?), but I noticed the
> audio output from my computer is composed by just one single outlet,
> which uses 1/8'' plugs.

Look closely at that plug.  Notice there are THREE bands on it.  One each
for left, right and a common ground.

> The idea is to
> keep the computer speakers that I have in place today and use one of
> such configured audio outputs to connect to the house audio outlets,
> and then plug additional speakers in other rooms.

Sure, use the speaker output of your computer to drive those desktop
speakers.  Then use the Line Out signal from the computer to drive the other
rooms.  You'll need an amp, of course, to take that line-level signal and
boost it enough to drive all those speakers in the other rooms.  The amp on
the computer's sound card WILL NOT be enough to drive them.  It'll depend on
what sort of volume controls you have in the rooms and how they're wired to
determine what sort of amp would be needed.

-Bill Kearney