Re: ControlThink announces Z-wave SDK

robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>RF is useful as an adjunct to either of the above but, IMO, is not suitable
>
> as the main HA technology. Metallic J-boxes, flashing, wire lathe,
> ducts,
> appliances, etc. will always make RF beyond the skill level of the
> typical
> DIYer.
>
> That is patently untrue, friend.  High quality RF systems for security
> and home automation have been around for years.

Isn't "Z Wave" one of the "latest" technologies out there??  Hasn't X-10
been around a lot longer and how often have *you* said that it's
"unreliable" and "lower quality"?  What other "high quality RF systems"
for home automation "have been around for years"??

> Most DIYers have no
> trouble at all installing and servicing them.

That's a "blanket statement" that's patently untrue.  The number of
DIYer's that ask questions or have problems getting a handle on
installing these devices in this Newsgroup and others far outnumber the
experienced Home Automation enthusiasts you see here.  "DIY" often isn't
as easy as you "advertise".

> Not just Insteon but almost all PLC devices are unacceptable for
> security.  RF technology far less robust than Z-Wave has long been used
> for security.  Don't be surprised to see Z-Wave communicating alarm
> sensors in the near future.

Hmmm...  I'd suggest reading what you've written before pressing