Re: mystery signal

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:44:06 -0500, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<0o-dnVeqGL39EevenZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 04:26:47 GMT, Marc F Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <5mran1dpbgvqimcvjuec2anh3p2hr29f90@xxxxxxx>:

>> However the fact that IGBT's can be turned on and off during at any point
>of the cycle means that they can be used in other [than reverse-phase
dimmer] circuit designs.

>> Specifically a modified sine-wave with lower amplitude can be created by
>> switching the IGBT rapidly on/off (eg at 120khz). This is the mode that
>> would be the problem wrt power line control devices.
>
>What types of devices would use such a circuit?

I don't know in what equipment other than dimmers and large UPS's IGBT's are
currently being used, but as I wrote before, the list of device that they
are being touted for by semiconductor mnufacturers is long:

Washing Machine
Air Conditioner
HVAC (Compressors, Blowers, Pumps)
Refrigerator
Small Motor Control
Traction Inverter
UPS Power Supply
Servo Drive
Medical Power Supply
Motor Drives
Inverter
Welding

etc  http://www.pwrx.com/igbt.asp?catid=50

Lotsa new stuff potentially adding to the powerline cacophony.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
ww.ECOntrol.org