Re: ControlThink announces Z-wave SDK

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:26:41 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote
in message  <43743ccd.45865429@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I've always said that hard-wired is the most reliable

Agreed that it is reliable.

>but also the most expensive

Most expensive? Have you actually compared a Centralite hard-wired system
installed at the time of home construction compared to Lutron RF and other
high end ? Do you have any experience whatsoever in this matter?

>and least flexible.

What do you mean by 'flexible'? Buy into an RF system and your entire
investment depends on the proprietary products from a single company.
Copper wire, on the other hand, gives timeless, multi-vendor, multiple
technology 'flexibility'.

>PLC has flexibility, potential low-cost, and even X-10 is reliable _if_ you
>understand it and are willing to invest time and effort in maintaining it.

ROTFL.

One day after Dave posts (yet again!) an assertion of X-10 reliability " if
[ ahem, like Dave] you understand it",Dave finds that all X-10 on one phase
of his power is "blocked" and he has no idea why.

Subject: mystery signal
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:02:54 GMT

"... but yesterday was the first time I saw the nearly continuous signal. It
blocks X-10......
...... Any ideas? "

(I have posted in this other thread an idea that fits the facts he has
provided.)

So how has Dave's superior wisdom made his X-10 system 'reliable' if it now
doesn't work at all?

Reality check needed here (still, and as always). In my opinion, it is, and
has been, and will continue to be unwise and unhelpful to claim that X-10 is
"reliable".

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org