Re: powerlinc usb control api

news:4368dd09.59813312@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "John" <weekender_ny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a way to control the powerlinc usb api using
>>python on cygwin? python on linux? Perl or any other scripting
>>language on windows? Smarthome doesnt seem eager to supply
>>the apis for the powerlinc usb i just bought.
>>
>>Thanks a lot for your help,
>
> You probably bought the wrong Powerlinc. They sell the 1132U for $38 or
> $70
> depending on whether you buy it with or without their software.
>
>     http://www.smarthome.com/1132u.html
>     http://www.smarthome.com/1132cu.html
>
> They also sell the PowerLinc V2 USB as part of the "INSTEON Development
> Kit
> - USB". The development kit also includes a LampLinc V2 as well as the
> documentation needed to write your own software and sells for $99.
>
>     http://www.smarthome.com/insteon/sdk2600U.html
>
> The Insteon V2 version can also control X-10 devices.
>
> There are some severe restrictions in the Insteon SDK license. Licensees
> are
> prohibited from ever disclosing anything about the Insteon SDK including
> the
> results of tests.
>
> <quote>
> The Kit and all related information are confidential and proprietary to
> SMARTHOME. You agree not to disclose any information relating to the Kit
> (including without limitation the results of use or testing) to any third
> party without SMARTHOME?s prior written permission.
> </quote>
>
> They also retain the sole right to decide whether any product developed by
> licensees can be sold.
>
> <quote>
> You acknowledge and agree that the distribution and commercialization of
> any
> INSTEON labeled compatible applications and products developed by you
> using
> the Kit will be subject to (i) successful completion by you of SMARTHOME's
> designated authentication and compatibility testing processes and (ii)
> approval by SMARTHOME.
> </quote>
>
> Other organizations have certification programs but do not prevent
> non-certified products from being sold as "compatible".
>
> Smarthome has been inconsistent. They published the protocol for the
> initial
> (TTL & serial) version of the Powerlinc but only offered the protocol for
> later versions to "qualified" developers. The Insteon SDK is reasonably
> priced and includes the necessary documentation and is available to anyone
> who is willing to spend $99 and be subject to the license.
>
> Neil Cherry and others have proceeded based on verbal assurances from
> people
> at Smarthome. I would suggest getting it in writing as the terms of the
> license stipulate.

Note that the requirement for SmartHome "blessing" of your app only applies
if you use the Insteon name or logo - you're free to distribute anything you
want if you don't do that.  That's how Neil Cherry was able to publish his
unix-based stuff, after initially getting off on the wrong foot.  This seems
to imply that you can release software that talks to "SmartHome's new PLC
protocol" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) without having to submit it to
SmartHome for approval.

    - Dennis Brothers