Re: Another newbie vacation home question

On 18 Nov 2005 06:20:04 -0800, astutesolutions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote in
message  <1132323604.280492.10760@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Oh, one more thing to add.  My HVAC system is Trane dual fuel sysem.
>Heatpump and propane.  I don't know if a special TS is needed for that.
>
>Also, I have access to an extra PC if a console solution isn't
>available, although I would probably need to get a UPS for it.
>
>Jeff

Yes, you should use a 2-stage thermostat with an outside temperature sensor.
The Aprilaire 8870 previously suggested is such a thermostat but it needs to
be programmed to set the balance point.
http://www.aprilaire.com/pdfs/ct_8870.pdf

If you can set up your pc to be remotely controlled over the internet via
XP's built in software, MSTSC, pcAnywhere, or  VNC ( www.realvnc.com ;
www.tightvnc.com; http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/) you can manually control
(i.e., read temperature and change set point) an 8870 with most any terminal
program such as Hyperterminal that you probably already have installed if
you use Windows. You would also need an RS-232 --> RS-485 converter
(Available on eBay for about $15.) and the ability to route through your
router/firewall to the required port address. Most SOHO routers can be
configured to do so.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org