Video Surveailance - kind of OT

There have been two significant crimes where I live in the last couple
weeks.  One was at a gas station (inside), one at a fast food restaurant
(inside).

Both had video camera.  They should the footage on the news so the public
might help in IDing the crooks...

But I got to tell you, the video was so bad that you couldn't really make
out anybody.

I figured there were a bunch of people here who set up this type of system,
that could explain why the video like these crime scene tapes are soooooooo
bad.  It seems that a system with clearer video would be a great assistance
in cutting crime in my area, and I just wonder what the problem are.

Thanks in advance...