Re: CM15a reliablity

The overheating seemed to be related to a specific transformer that was used
in some early versions so it only happened with some CM11As. I would be
surprised if the same problem appeared in the CM15A given that it was
apparently solved in the CM11A.

I think the lockups were mostly related to firmware (i.e. the PIC program).
The CM15A uses a Cypress µController so it's unlikely to have the same
firmware issues. It may, however, have its own.

Most of the cases of demonic possession were easily exorcised by keeping the
serial cable connected or disconnected at _both_ ends. If the CM15A has the
same problem it can likely be cured in the same manner.

The CM11A also had a problem with its signal strength fading during its 1ms
duration - made worse by loading. This could be fixed by changing a
resistor. The CM15A does not exhibit this problem.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/browse_thread/thread/6b1ba0cd1050658a/683aab3fb0577048?lnk=st&q=cm11a+schematic+galvin+group:comp.home.automation&rnum=1&hl=en#683aab3fb0577048

Aside from the dinky antenna the hardware used in the CM15A is OK. It uses
third party RF transmitter and receiver daughterboards.

I was not impressed with the X-10 software. I don't know whether any third
party software has appeared. It's not as easy to do this for USB as it was
for RS232.

X-10 maintains an ActiveHomePro forum which might be a better place to ask
your questions.