Re: Insteon and dimmable CF bulbs

You can also try Todd Missey at www.hnausa.com.

Check that the CFL has a broad dimming range.  Some will ramp up very
quickly to almost full brightness leaving a very sensitive or narrow dimming
range with flicker.  You already know that CFL will not dim down to a glow
like incandescent.  Most importantly, some CFL will make a lot of power line
noise that will interfere with your X10 or Insteon.  In my home, I've had to
install a double gang box and have a Leviton X10 filter in the OUTPUT
towards the bulb to prevent noise from desensing the switch when the lamp
isn't full on, or full off.  In this case, I'm using a dimmable GE R40 lamp.

Some other poster in this group a few months ago mentioned a brand of CF
lamps that are labelled non-dimmable, but dim quite nicely, thank you.  I
can't remember the brand, but perhaps a google search will uncover this.
This would save you a lot of money.

YMMV, but I'm thinking that dimmable CF lamps have a narrow application.
For mood lighting, you just can't get that dim glow.  For the front of my
house (outdoor lighting), I'm using a Switchlinc Relay with CF lamps.  Works
great.  The savings in energy are such that I'm not worried about CF power
consumption in comparison to incandescent.

Good Luck.