Re: Video Surveailance - kind of OT

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:30:56 -0700, "AZ Woody" <Reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> But I got to tell you, the video was so bad that you couldn't really make
> out anybody.

This is VERY typical.

> I figured there were a bunch of people here who set up this type of system,
> that could explain why the video like these crime scene tapes are soooooooo
> bad.  It seems that a system with clearer video would be a great assistance
> in cutting crime in my area, and I just wonder what the problem are.

You are correct.

However, most businesses and even governments consider security a
non-revenue-producing function, and an expense rather than an
investment.

So they buy the cheapest low bid garbage and do zero maintenance.
Never change the tape, never clean the recorder heads much less send
the recorders out for annual maintenance and have heads and all rubber
parts replaced.

We do high reliability video surveillance for governments and
occasional VIPs. It is *very* common for our imitators to quote less
for the entire job installed than we would pay for just the hardware.
We did a high profile install a while back which ran $1/3 million. The
next lowest bid under us was $55K. Fortunately the FBI was in on the
project and their protection guy knew the ins and outs of a decent
video install.

There are some articles in the White Papers section of our website
which go into this in more detail if you're interested.

Regards ... Steve

Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
mailto:Steve@xxxxxxxxxx  website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"