Re: powerlinc usb control api

On 1 Nov 2005 12:07:07 -0800, "Mark Thomas" <mrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <1130875626.971044.37220@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Yeah, Smarthome wants you to shell out $$ for dev kits and sign your
>life away. To date, I'm not aware of any open interface to the USB api,
>but Neil Cherry has an experimental linux driver for the RS232 api and
>is working on USB. See
>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ncherry/common/iplcd/

hmmm ... after all the negative comments in this newsgroup, I decided to
look at the offerings.

http://www.smarthome.com/insteon/sdk2600U.html

"shell out $$ for dev kits" ?

For $99 one gets:

INSTEON User & Reference Guide
PowerLinc V2 USB
LampLinc V2
Email support certificate
INSTEON developer web-site username and password
and the email of a an individual, responsive technical individual(!)

Is it expected that the company should give away two pieces of hardware (the
interface and the receive)  and the documentation and the support for free?

"and sign your life away"?

The agreement requires a developer who wants to sell products and make money
with INSTEON technology has to have the device reviewed to assure that it
works. This QA/QC 101.

Seems to me this is gratuitous, group grousing.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org