Re: speaker wire deteriorates?

I doubt it's a short, Bill.  That would usually cause dead silence
and/or a dead amp -- not low volume.  I'd first look for a problem with
the volume control.  They can and do fail.

Connections might also be poor (high resistance) if the installer
didn't know his job well but when that happens it usually affects one
speaker or the other rather than a left and right pair.  For the same
reason, I doubt it's the speakers themselves.  If they fail, it's not
usually two at a time.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com