Re: Short Plenum Run Question

> I will be amazed if the inspector even asks about plenum vs. non-plenum
> cable, but is there anything I need to do for family safety?  It's too
> late to run metal conduit, but I could wrap the cable in some kind of
> insulation and tape it.  Thanks

If the inspection includes the duct work then they might notice it.

The point of plenum rated cable is it's resistance to outgassing during a
fire.  If regular wire catches fire the jacketing on it tends to put out
rather toxic fumes, not to mention act somewhat like a lit fuse carrying the
fire along.  Suffice to say that putting such wire inside a well-fed air
plenum is a way to spread the fire and harm anyone unlucky enough to still
be around breathing it (like asleep in bed).  For peace of mind, just re-run
the cable properly or in the ducts with the correct stuff.  Yeah, pain in
the butt but a lot less trouble down the line should anything go wrong.