Re: Emergency Water Turn-Off?

Prof Reid <reid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyone made their own emergency water-turn-off
> system?  Like a WaterCop or WaterBug?
> Something like a ball valve with an attached
> drive wheel and motor to turn the water off.

Check out the Flo Logic at www.flologicfl.com.

Seems to be able to turn off the water after it runs for a preset amount
of time (so the icemaker can be refilled, but the burst washer hose will
cause a shutoff before too much damage is done), and can handle a 'home'
or 'away' situation.

I'm looking into one of these after hearing about the neighbor's tale of
woe:  The last thing they did before they left their house for vacation
was start the dishwasher.  It malfunctioned, popped the door open, and
ended up spewing hot water all over the kitchen for 10 days (big boiler in
the basement and a full tank of oil meant there was plenty of hot water
provided!).  Water and steam damage to the house was, to say the least,
extensive:  The kitchen is a total loss, had to be stripped to the studs
and sprayed to kill the mold.  Wood wainscoting in the house swelled and
popped off the walls, windows cracked as their wood frames buckled, wood
floors warped, paint peeled off the walls, mold grew, and 2 months later
they're still discovering side effects of all that steam.  This in an
antique house that had just had a top to bottom restoration.  Insurance
has paid out something like $80 thousand so far, and may not insure the
house after this...

--- MJC
    mcoll@xxxxxxxxx