Re: Lynx X-10 Analyzer (WAS Re: Decora HCPRF)

The original PowerLinc did not output all of the bits but only those that
represented a valid signal. That's less than ideal for troubleshooting. It
also had some 'hearing' problems, frequently going deaf to the powerline.

I think the programming disclaimer is probably because they were overwhelmed
with questions from amateur programmers. It may also be because there's a
USB version and low level USB programming is not simple. They published the
serial protocol for the first PowerLinc but it was TTL/RS232 only; there was
no USB version.

On the deafness problem, I saw the same problem with the LampLinc 2000STW.
All three that I have would stop responding and the LED would blink at
random. LM14As worked fine in the same circuits and I could see nothing
amiss with my scope/Scope-Test2. If it was noise, it was out of the
frequency band of the Scope-Test2. The LampLinc was OK if used on the
building.

The recent thread about phantom signals when a paper shredder ran caused me
to test the LampLincs again. For the past couple of weeks they've been OK in
the same circuits which gave them trouble before. The only change I'm aware
of is that I gave an older desktop machine to a niece. There have also been
2-3 changes in occupants of other apartments so it may have been something
that one of them had. But I suspect it was the power supply of the PC that I
gave away. I think they may be overly sensitive to out-of-band noise.