Re: Lynx X-10 Analyzer (WAS Re: Decora HCPRF)

> I don't think there is any simple way to use an appliance module as a
signal
> strength indicator. The PLC_IN level is diode limited (i.e. it will never
be
> greater than about ±0.7V).

I was afraid that might be the case.  A more primitive way to get "signal
health" feedback might be to design a "sensor" using a combination of  one
of the filter designs floating around the net and an appliance module.  If I
can find a filter design that offers variable attenuation, then I can
balance the signal to an appliance module (for convenience, I'll call it an
ASTM for Attentuated Signal Test Module) so that it just managed to fire.
These modules could serve as Go/No Go signal indicators.

Any disturbance to the powerline from a new noisy appliance or a signal
sucker would likely make at least one of the ASTMs deaf.  All I need to do
is run a signal wire back from the ASTM to a central panel.  If the house
wiring's OK, all ASTM's will respond to their appropriate signals.  If
there's something amiss, one of the modules will fail to operate, no closure
will occur and I can be alerted.  HomeSeer could run the diagnostic a few
times a day.

I'd like to implement something like this because on occasion something will
get plugged in that will have only marginal effect on the main house wiring.
It's the second signal sucker that causes real trouble and makes it hard to
trace the problem.  I've had a number of "sucker hunts" and they are
miserable, time-wasting processes.  I'm willing to spend some money to lock
them down early.

Truth be told, I'd rather have modified ESM1 sensors, though, because I'd
get actually voltage levels and not just a "set point" gauge.  It may turn
out that the ASTMs would be a better, more automatic way of checking signal
health on a daily basis.

> The ESM1 transformer output is 12V AC. You should be able to lengthen it,
> within reason, without serious degradation but it would be better to just
> plug it into a 120V extension cord. In general, the higher the voltage the
> longer runs can be without losses.

Agreed, but it's a lot easier and cheaper (for me, at least) to run 12V than
110VAC.  I guess I could just pull out the wire cutters and see what affect
various lengths of wire have on the ESM1.

> Actually, both signal strength and number of cycles are important. The
X-10
> PLC protocol (both standard and extended commands) is explained in detail
in
> XTC798.DOC available on the X-10 web site. I've reformatted it as a text
> file (the original is nearly impossible to read) and made it available on
my
> web page.
>
>      http://www.mbx-usa.com/xtc798.txt
>
> The first paragraph explains why the cycle count is important.

I'm a little confused.  Are they saying that not only the peak voltage is
important, but the length of time the signal is at or near that peak?

For instance, when looking at:

http://www.mbx-usa.com/x10-sig.htm

and the image dated 8/20/01 2:37PM would it be reasonable to say that each
of the separate vertical magenta trace lines represents a "count?"

> It's a simple matter to convert the ESM1 to 220V - just replace the
120V:12V
> AC wall wart with a 220V:12V AC version. However, I'm not sure why you
would
> want to do this unless you live in Europe.

I can imagine a need for a 220V capable analyzer in dealing with phase
problems in a house with a number of 220V appliances.  Not a big need, but
it could be useful.  It's nice to know I could eaily modify the ESM1 to read
signal strength on a 220V line

--
Bobby G.

> [...]
> >> installation and you want to be able to do so from anywhere in the
> >> house. IOW, you're like me (at least in that regard).
> >
> >We're beginning to own a lot of the same test equipment, that's for sure!
> >:-)  I've even thought that the ESM1's are cheap enough to use as sensors
at
> >the breaker panel and the far ends of the longest branches.  If any one
of
> >three starting showing signal loss, I'd not only know about it, I could
> >vector in on it.  As much as I can, I try to keep tracking of what gets
> >plugged into the AC outlets, but it's not always possible with other
> >technologically-inclined family members around.  It seems to me that
> >someone's got a mod to turn old appliance modules with bad cams into
remote
> >signal strength sensors.  To me that status of the powerline is almost
like
> >the house's pulse.
> >
> >Dave, if you're reading this, do you know how much distance there can be
> >between the ESM1 wall wart and the meter assembly?  Would it be possible
> >mount the wall wart at the breaker panel and cut the wires from the meter
> >head to the PS and splice a very long cable in between so that the
wallwart
> >sits in the basement and the LED display is mounted so I can see it from
my
> >desk?  Somewhere I read that the distance might be critical, but I can't
> >seem to find that message again in Google.
> >
> >> The TesterLinc is
> >> tempting but I don't think it's going to be "satisfying" in telling you
> >> what you want to know. Consider biting the bullet... most places will
> >> give you a 30 day return privilege (some exclude test equipment for
> >> obvious reasons).
> >
> >The TesterLinc lost its luster when Dave pointed out it came with a
rather
> >large tail.  I don't like the "units" approach to signal measurement when
> >there's already a pretty good standard to use: volts.  I suppose I could
> >mount the interface and an extension cord along with the TesterLinc in a
> >larger box, but that's pretty kludgy.
> >
> >The ACT unit's ability to read 220V could be a big plus in my next house.
> >Even the Monterey can't do that.   I wish either the ACT or the Monterey
had
> >a USB links.  Then my choice would be simple! Sometimes you can learn an
> >awful lot from stored logs.  Taking and saving a snapshot each quarter
would
> >reveal an overall system degradation you might never notice otherwise.
> >
> >I should be cleaning out the grill for the holiday but here I am fiddling
> >with Lynx and the newly arrived OmniLT.  This stuff is just too much fun.
> >The puzzle for today is how to switch over from a leased ADT unit to the
> >OmniLT with the least amount of disruption.  I was thinking of reusing
ADT's