Re: Need some antenna advice (for my CM15A, of course)

What does "less than optimal" mean? When compared to the original antenna,
has your range increased? decreased? How much. In general, I've seen a
doubling of range with just the eggbeater antenna and another doubling with
the preamp. But environmental factors play a significant role so there's no
universal, onesizefitsall solution.

Even messy, deformed circles can work. I've even used rectangles.

What did you use for the phasing line? What did you use for the lead-in?
What did you use for connectors?

Have you tried rotating the antenna? I've found it's not 100%
omnidirectional. I recommend rotating any antenna 15-30° each day until you
find the best orientation. The "best orientation" is usually a compromise
with better reception from some directions than from others.

Where is it vertically? A central location, both horizontal and vertical, is
best.