Getting Started Suggestion

I am totally new to HA, but somewhat experienced with computers in
general...less so with programing. I want to begin a home automation
system. I have a spare computer that should not be a limiting factor,
but no experience or equipment for HA.

I would like to start with being able to measure, record and trend
temperatures, preferably with something simple like thermocouples or
RTDs.  Later, next steps would include measuring rainfall (linear
potentiometer?) and possibly controlling solenoid valves. I may be
interested in powering relays up/down, but probably not much interest
in controlling lights or other electrical outlets. I've looked briefly
at the X10 and ZWave sites, but they look more geared to the things I'm
less interested in (unless I just didn't look deep enough into thier
web sites).

Any suggestions on how I can get started (software recomendations for
what I want to do, basic computer-controller diagrams, suppliers,
etc.)? I would prefer to keep cost to a minimum (I can do some assembly
of parts instead of buying integrated components if that saves money),
but of course 'minimum' is only relative to what it takes to get the
job done. I would also like to spend the least amount of time reading,
programming and tweaking...but again I understand this will be an
involved effort and thus 'minimum' again is relative.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Mech Engineer, HA Newbie