Re: Emergency Water Turn-Off?

"Matthew Collins" <mcoll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> I'm looking into one of these after hearing about the neighbor's tale of
> woe:  The last thing they did before they left their house for vacation
> was start the dishwasher.

D'oh!  That's something that can be fairly easily avoided by at least
shutting off the water before leaving for a long trip, or even a few days,
if you're supercautious.  I'll bet neither they nor their friends will
*ever* leave a dishwasher unattended while operating after this experience.

There tragedy is probably a good enough reason for everyoine reading this to
at least install a moisture-sensing auto-shutoff system if nothing else.
I'm sure that a moisture sensor mounted on the *ceiling* would have
prevented much of the damage that occurred to your friends.  One beneath the
dishwasher would have left no evidence as the little leakage will have
evaporated by the time they got home.

You bring up another interesting point.  Many insurers will redline such a
house for fear of future mold claims, etc.  If your friends try selling it
without disclosing the damage and un-insurability, they could end spending
$K's more in legal fees and damages.

--
Bobby G.