Re: Newbie Advice needed

As you have found, X-10 pricing is unbeatable.

X-10's patent on the basic PLC technology expired a few years ago so there
are now several manufacturers that use X-10 PLC technology - Leviton,
Lightolier, PCS, SmartHome's *Linc, and others. Mixing and matching is
usually OK but you do need to be aware of some 'gotchas' (see below).

While it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain reliability of an
X-10 based system, it is possible as long as you understand the
fundamentals. I've tried to cover the essentials on a web page at
http://www.mbx-usa.com.

I always write my own software so I cannot comment on what might be
available from the manufacturers.

Two-way devices must incorporate both a PLC receiver and a PLC transmitter.
Most PLC transmitters load the system (It's possible to design ones that do
not but that adds cost.) and attenuate the signal. The more transmitters you
have, the lower the signal strength. Two-way functionality varies. Devices
do not respond with an ACK or NAK but some respond to a STATUS REQUEST poll
although their response may not actually reflect the condition of the load.
Some report local control changes. It is probably best to limit two-way
modules to areas/situations where they may be most useful.

Terminolgy can be confusing as marketing departments try to differentiate
what are essentially near identical technologies. Leviton's DHC line uses
X-10 PLC technology. Lightolier's Compose line uses X-10 PLC technology.
Most of SmartHome's *Linc line uses X-10 PLC technology. Etc., etc., etc.

There are two "preset dim" methods. One, X-10 defined in the original PLC
protocol but never used and have 'undefined' it in later documentation of
the PLC protocol. SmartHome and PCS use it. It has 32 levels. It can have
strange interactions with other devices. The other, 'extended dim', was
defined by X-10 about 7-8 years ago. It has 64 levels. X-10 uses it in the
LM14A and similar European devices. Leviton uses it in some of their
devices.

Most of the more useful stand-alone controllers are not USB but you can
usually use a USB-to-RS232 adapter with them.

I think the Ocelot still gives the most bang for the buck. It is expandable
but you can start with the basic unit for about $150. I do not recommend the
higher priced controllers for beginners as I think there may soon be
developments that will make them obsolete.

HomePlug has concentrated on high bandwidth applications like Ethernet over
powerlines and HomePlug AV (multiple audio/video streams) but, I think, it's
just a matter of time before someone introduces lighting and appliance
control using their technology. With BPL modems retailing near $20, the
economics have finally started to make sense.