Re: Lynx X-10 Analyzer (WAS Re: Decora HCPRF)

I don't think there is any simple way to use an appliance module as a signal
strength indicator. The PLC_IN level is diode limited (i.e. it will never be
greater than about ±0.7V).

The ESM1 transformer output is 12V AC. You should be able to lengthen it,
within reason, without serious degradation but it would be better to just
plug it into a 120V extension cord. In general, the higher the voltage the
longer runs can be without losses.

Actually, both signal strength and number of cycles are important. The X-10
PLC protocol (both standard and extended commands) is explained in detail in
XTC798.DOC available on the X-10 web site. I've reformatted it as a text
file (the original is nearly impossible to read) and made it available on my
web page.

     http://www.mbx-usa.com/xtc798.txt

The first paragraph explains why the cycle count is important.

It's a simple matter to convert the ESM1 to 220V - just replace the 120V:12V
AC wall wart with a 220V:12V AC version. However, I'm not sure why you would
want to do this unless you live in Europe.