Re: DSC 832 - how to reset?

Configuring the DSC832 to monitor garage doors

Note: This solution, codes etc. are for the DSC Power 832 PC5010 Version
2.0.

1. Connect the garage contact (I used an AMSECO Overhead Door Contact) to
it's own zone input.

2. Connect PGM 1 or PGM 2 directly to the above zone input (use a resistor
if you have resistors on your other zones). I used PGM 1 because it's not as
flexible as PGM 2, which I'll be using for something else later.

3. Program the garage door zone definition to 'Delay Stay/Away Zone' (06).

4. Program the garage door zone attributes to the 'Delay Stay/Away Zone'
defaults, plus Chime=Y (1-2-3-4-5-6-X-X).

5. Program the PGM output to 'Away Armed' (17).

6. Test it works.

How it works:
With the alarm system disarmed, the garage door zone will chime on
opening/closing. The garage door open/closed status can be seen on the
keypad (I have the LED type so I can see it from the other end of the hall).

With the alarm system in 'Stay Armed' mode, the garage door zone will chime
on opening/closing. The garage door open/closed status can be seen on the
keypad. The alarm will not be triggered, as the zone is automatically
bypassed.

With the alarm system in 'Away Armed' mode, the PGM output will "close" the
garage door zone. The garage door open/closed status indicator will show the
door as being closed, and no chime will sound (you will be out, so it
doesn't make any difference anyway). The alarm will not be triggered when
you return home, open the garage door, and disarm the alarm.

Remember, this solution is to allow easy monitoring of the garage door
open/close status, without having to run outside and look.

To have the garage door become part of the alarm monitoring again, simply
change the PGM output to Command Output Option #4 (22), and change the zone
settings as required.

We have two garage doors, so I'll be using two diodes to connect the zones
to the PGM output, this allows for independent monitoring of the doors. That
way I'll be able to see which door is open/closed.

This configuration has worked extremely well for us, and on several
occasions has stopped us from leaving a door open all night.

Bob