Re: X10 Computer Interface

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:56:14 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Peard"
<NOSPAMpaul_peard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>PLC - powerline communications - X10 controllers. There are a few in the US
>and basically 1 in Europe - the old serial one - point is if you are going
>to to talk to one in you software if you don't support the 1 thats available
>in Europe then you have lost some of your potential audience.

I will definitely heed that advice. I wrote a freeware audio
recorder a decade ago (http://www.davee.com/scanrec) and
it's spread far and wide. A great deal of the downloads come
from Europe. I used to get a lot of email and I think about
half of it all was from Europe. So I'm sold on the huge
market potential that Europe has to offer.

At this time, I'm looking at two types of X10 outputs from
the app. Serial and command line...I believe. Serial will be
used to support the most common X10 controllers CM12 and
CM11. The command line will allow people to use their own
script languages to make the decisions on how to respond.
Does that sound like enough? I want to be able to talk to
the European PLC controller but will probably have to buy
the US PLC and hope that all the keywords (or binary codes)
are the same between the two models. Am I going to get into
trouble with that assumption? I hope it'll be the same. Of
course I could work with someone to help me test things that
I can't test at home...when the time comes.

Here's a screen shot of the recorder as it looks right now
in case you're curious if it's real or not <g>:

http://www.davee.com/tl2dv

Dave