Re: high voltage home runs?

"John O" <johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote in message
news:HphZd.12235$c85.5015@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm reading a contribution to my project from an author who claims there
are
> lighting controller devices that require 120 VAC runs between the
controller
> and each controlled light circuit.
>
> At a glance, this seems like a helluva lot of work, a crazy way to wire a
> house, and outrageously expensive. Would such a system ever be built these
> days? Did such systems ever exist?
>
> -John O

GE low voltage, Despard, and Watchkeeper all use low voltage switches to
relays and then line voltage out to the circuits/fixtures.  The GE RR-7 and
RR-9 relays are almost bullet proof.  And require no power except to change
state.  NOT CHEAP>>>>

There used to be a modular wiring system for layin lights that had the
relays attached to the back of the fixtures. You would run Low voltage wire
from them to the switches. Only problem was you needed to install a separate
low voltage transformer for the source. I installed one of these in a strip
mall and ended bastardizing it to keep it working.

Low voltage wiring has never been inexpensive. IE saving money. It is
usually installed because of the ease of control.

Check out WatchKeeper panels. I have used them in several commercial jobs
that control was an issue. They can come will all the computer bells and
whistles/networked or just run on their own.