Re: Need some antenna advice (for my CM15A, of course)

Hi again!

I have a few remaining questions and clarifications!  Sorry!

I am heading to the biggest electronic store in the city this week
(Finally!)  So I just want to educate myself before I head out there!

1 - If a cable is RG58U, does that mean it's automatically 50 Ohms?  I
have some RG6 cable here, and one is labelled as 75 Ohms, so I know
that's not optimal, as you mentioned.  If, however I find RG58, then am
I okay?

2 - How bad is it to use F connectors instead of BNC connectors?  It
seems like I have so many of these things lying around, and I have a
crimper and all sorts of accessories in my workroom.  Can I put F
connectors everywhere instead of the BNC ones?

3 - For the phasing line, if RG62 (93-ohm) coax is not available, what
type of coax would you recommend as my second and third choices?  Will
I then have to cut it longer or shorter to compensate?

4 - Is there any trick when it comes to dealing with the ground part
(the shielding) of coax cable?  I just kind of strip it, and twist up
all the little threads and tin them.  It looks silly, but is that the
correct thing to do?  It's a little challenging soldering the thin coax
cable they send with the kit onto the board.  I'd love to just solder
some type of surface-mount F connector right onto the PCB.  In the
picture on their website, it has that.  this just cable with one foot
of cable.  Soldering it on is a problem.  Advice is welcome!

5 - Must the TenTec Amp be placed as close as possible to the
eggbeater, or can I mount it down by the CM15A?  Intuitively, I'd think
it has to be closer to the antenna, but perhaps not.  I'd love to keep
the amp near the CM15A.  Your thoughts?

6 - Is there a limit of length for the coax between the CM15A and the
eggbeater?  I would love to leave the CM15A here in my basement, yet
run the coax up the side of my house, and place the antenna in my
attic.  Is that okay?  (This is why point #5 is also important.  I have
no problems running coax up to the attic, but I'll have no power for
the power supply!

7 - Last, but not least, from a physics point of view, is this the best
type of antenna to construct?  I know other companies make antennas for
this sort of thing, but they are straight.  Also, my old transceivers
have those telescoping ones (I actually attached larger ones), and they
work like a charm.  Is the eggbeater style truly the best possible
shape?

And that's it!

Thank you so much for all your help.  I hope that other amateurs can
benefit from these tips.

I hope that with answers to these questions, coupled with the article
and all the other posts, I'll be able to walk into the electronics
store nice and informed, and then build the perfect antenna!

Thanks!!

Mike