Re: Running a Cat5 directly into a phone(Newbie)

The pairs are the two inside and the two straddling them on the outside.

An RJ11 plug can accomodate two lines; one on the red/green pair and the
other on the yellow/black.  When using CAT5 cable these are commonly
installed using the blue/white-blue and orange/white-orange wires.  The
remaining green and brown are unused; it's common to coil them back around
the insulation rather than just cutting them off.

So yes, a single line would require only two wires. But it's a good practice
to connect all four wires for both pair in case you ever need to add another
line in the future.  If you've got the wire, why not?  It'd sure save you
the pain in the ass hassles of opening the box later just to attach the
wires!