Re: video security system- Should I save to a dedicated PVR or to a PC. What about remote viewing etc.

David, Look at Panasonic's (Consumer) Network Cameras. They range in price
from about the $150.00 Range up to about $900. They also have monitoring and
recording software that support the cameras, as well as a **Free** DDNS
service that lets you view the cameras from anywhere on the web. These
cameras do not need a PC to function, and can be wired, or wireless 802.xx
They are easy to set up, from a home page (web server like) program. You can
also set up an FTP server (Free Software) if you don't want to use their
recording software.

Jack

"David Jensen" <DJNews1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I desire to set up a couple of security cameras at my home and the local
> church school principal asked me to make recommendations for a video
> security system there.  Can you please give me guidance on any of the
> following questions that I have.
>
> For purposes of conversation, I doubt that the school would want to spend
> more than $2,000 for the equipment (Recording equipment and three or four
> cameras) and they will install it themselves (money is tight in a self
> supporting school).  For my home application I do not want to spend more
> than $1,000 for the same and it will also be DIY.   A lot less at my home
> would be even better, of course!
>
> Which is best for video with minimal to moderate hassle, on the low to
> middle of the price spectrum, and bang for the buck (value) perspective?
> Network/Internet camera (one with a built in web server, not a USB webcam)
> or the traditional cameras that are not networked.  My observations are
that
> the decent network cameras are still quite expensive while you can buy all
> sorts of video security cameras on eBay for < $100.  It seems like much of
> the time that I try to view a camera on-line it seems to not work at all
or
> not work well, causing me to question their reliability.  Also, in reading
> product reviews on Amazon.com and other sites, I see that a lot of people
> seem to have trouble with the initial configuration of such products thru
> firewalls and such.  I'm also not sure if the video quality is generally
as
> good as a traditional camera or not.  Nonetheless, it seems like it would
be
> nice to not have to route thru a PC and still make yourself directly
> available on the net.
>
> What is the best hardware to record the video?  You can buy 4-camera video
> capture cards with software on eBay for $20 - 50.  You can buy a dedicated
> DVR to do the same for several hundred dollars.  If one has a late model
PC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48634&item=5763615610&rd=1.
> I wonder if that would work well.
>
> Is there something better that is beyond what I've spoken of here?
>
> If anyone could speak to the pros and cons of the various options,
including
> naming any makes and models of specific products and/or web links, I would
> be forever grateful.  Without actually buying and trying all the options,
> it's so hard to know what is best.  I hope that some of you on these
> newsgroups have gone before me and got it figured out and tested some of
> these products.
>
> --
> David Jensen
> Change the xx in my email address to MJ for my real email address.
Thanks.