Re: Question for Robert Bass

In article <Q-KdnbnR_L44iajfRVn-iA@xxxxxxxxxxx>, robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Robert L. Bass) writes:
| > Thanks a lot; that's exactly what I needed to
| > see.  Looks like of those types I use with the
| > MAXSYS I'd be losing Auto Verification
| > Fire and 24 Hour Bell/Buzzer.  Probably
| > not a big deal compared to the gain.
| > Decisions decisions...
|
| Not to further complicate matters (you know I love to do so:)) but have you
| considered the zone options of the Napco P9600.  It's by far the most
| configurable panel around.

Ok, since you ask, I dug up my notes.  One problem was that the serial protocol
document lacked some of the information required to talk to the panel.  I
believe that this was discussed, but I never saw a revised protocol document.
(I stopped looking about a year ago, though.)  The other problem was that there
seemed to be no way to program the system to arm/disarm on entry of a numeric
code only.  You had to hit some special-purpose key.

| What all of the other lack that I really like in
| the M1 Gold is direct analog zone inputs.  You can read actual temperature,
| RH, soil moisture, fluid motion in plumbing pipes, etc.  It's more expensive
| but not when you start to add all the functionality to some of the others.

I don't really care about those particular features, but the M1 does look
good.  The serial protocol document seems to be complete and (unlike those
from Napco and Paradox) does not induce headache/nausea on extended reading.
In fact, I got the list of zone types from that document.  I've been meaning
to study the M1 in more detail, but, unfortunately, they make that a tad
difficult by password-protecting the installation manual...

| Decisions, eh?  :^)

I suppose it would be worth checking whether DSC ever solved their problem
and added unarmed zone state changes to their serial automation interface.
If so I'd be happy to stick with a version of MAXSYS.  Anybody know?

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com