Re: X-10, GFCI, outdoor lights & problems

Several thoughts:

1)  As I understand it, if you move your transmitter close to the X10
switch, it works better.  There may be a signal sucker somewhere on
that branch circuit that is reducing the signal level.  Computers,
electronic equipment, power strips with surge protectors are all
culprits.

2)  The signal path may be too long for reliable X10 operation.  We had
a long run out to a yard light at our last house that sometimes would
miss X10 commands.  The problem went away after I added a Leviton 6201
coupler/repeater to boost the signal level.

3)  While I have used X10 modules downstream of GFCIs with no problems
myself, that doesn't mean that all GFCIs are the same.  If the design
of your GFCI includes an internal line-to-line capacitor for noise
suppression, it could also attenuate X10 signals.