Re: X-10, GFCI, outdoor lights & problems

The simplest work around is to try different CF bulbs - they vary greatly in
X-10 friendliness.  I bought two blister packs a month or so ago of 60 and
100W equivalent bulbs.  Both by the same manufacturer (GE).  The 60's didn't
generate line noise nor did they attentuate the signal, but the 100's did.

I would advise once you find a bulb that works, buy a 5 or 10 year supply of
the same lot number.  There's no guarantee that the next set from the same
manufacturer won't foul up X-10 communication.

Jeff's advice is also good - it will prevent someone from changing to the
wrong bulb in the future and messing up the X-10.  It's a little more
expensive to implement than finding non-interfering bulbs.  If I were in
your shoes I'd spend the $50 on an ESM1 meter rather than "heavying up" your
outside circuits.

I would say that almost 1/3 of new electronics that I buy has some sort of
X-10 problem.  )-:  The lastest was a Norcent DVD player that knocked out a
whole circuit with a 2V drop in the X-10 signal.  I'm relocating a lot of
such equipment to the same place where I can put them on a power tap that's
plugged into a X-10 filter.

If you're going to use more X-10 (and almost everyone does expand their
setup) a meter will save you so much time and frustration you will be
amazed.

--
Bobby G.