Re: Internal RF Adapter for Almost Any Remote

Robert Green wrote:
> Has anyone bought one of these?

I bought another model some time ago.  They're junk.  As Dave pointed
out some remotes don't work nicely with them.  My Tivo remote wouldn't
work at anything more than a few feet away from the base.

> At first I thought it might solve
> Bill K's problem, but apparently not.

Nope, been there, done that.

> Still, it could be useful for some
> situations.  It's a pretty clever idea, to stick a transmitter and an N
> battery in a AAA/AA sized sleeve.

If it actually worked reliably, yeah, it'd be neat.  But as Dave points
out the other RF noise inside many modern remotes precludes their
actually being able to work reliably.

> This may sound like a stupid question, but does anyone know if the X-10
> 8-in-1 learning remote transmits RF as well as IR for each type of command
> (VCR, SAT, TV, etc) or RF & IR X-10 commands only?

Which remote?  There are soo many differnet models of X-10 remotes.
Most don't transmit the AV devices commands as RF.  Only a few of the
button modes actually send RF.  It depends on the X-10 remote involved.
  I gave up on using X-10 remotes because of this.

Get a JP1 capable remote like the 15-2117 or other universal remote with
an RF base station. I picked up 4 of them for use around the house.
Each one is programmed the same for everything but the local TV control.
    That way once you learn how to control the Tivo in the AV closet
it's the same when using it anywhere in the house.

Trouble is they're a bit too bulky, discontinued and too expensive to
add more of them in places like out on the deck or other places that
I've got A-Bus keypads installed.  I need a *little* more functionality
than the basic Russound remote but not as much as (or at the cost of)
the larger one.  If I could find a credit card sized remote that was
programmable (learned IR or uploads) then I'd be able to send the local
keypad IR commands for on/off/source/volume while also being able to
pass in a few other commands that the controller PC (running girder)
could interpret.  A Weemote DV is closer but not quite it.

-Bill Kearney