ademco DSC staple short keypad drop

Hi,
I was just searching for posts about ademco products and saw a post
where someone mentioned
 "I have seen mother boards smoke because of staples through keypad
drops."
I was always wondering what would happen if a burglar broke in and,
instead of trying to find the control panel to disable the alarm, just
ripped the keypad off the wall and shorted the wires together while the
entry delay was beeping at them telling them to disarm.  I've never
wanted to risk toasting the control board to try it but while wiring
them up it seemed like sending the 12V out to the keypad was risky if
they didn't somehow isolate that 12V from the main 12V power.  Does
anybody know if Ademco panels have this achilles heel?  Surely Ademco
put a resistor or something on the "red keypad pwr (+)" terminal so
shorting it to the "Black Keypad Ground (-)" would not bring down the
entire panel.  Anybody have a spare panel they can try it on?  Is there
a brand of alarm that does not have this problem?  Thanks.  My email is
a spam magnet so I don't check it any more, please don't reply to it.