Re: Caddx NX-8E - RS232 ASCII Codes

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > They might have a realistic claim in that the more people know about the
> > internals of an alarm system, the easier it will be for them to defeat
it.

> Oh and now it's the "security through obscurity" excuse?  Even more
> pathetic!

I don't think it's unreasonable, as a security panel customer, to expect my
manufacturer to restrict operational details as they see fit.  It's my
choice as a customer to patronize them or not.  If I don't like the fact
that they don't hand out operational details at will, I can choose another
vendor.  As soon as you show some certain types of bright people a security
plan, they'll figure out a way to game it.

Here's a test.  Call up Ft. Knox and ask for the alarm protocols for the
gold vaults.  I'm betting they might even come in person to answer your
questions.  :-)  Obscurity is plenty good for plenty of situations and not
so good for others.  OS's should not depend on the obscurity factor, but
alarm panel makers products different: They are not connected to the
internet 24x7 - yet.

There's been a mass exodus of engineering plans of all kinds from the net
after 9/11 because those in charge decided it gave terrorists too much of a
leg up on doing bad things.  I'm loathe to admit I agree.   YMMV.

I would have preferred if we had kept learning how to fly a jet a little my
obscure than it was.  After WWII the Russians didn't want the physical atom
bomb nearly as much as they wanted the bomb *plans.*

--
Bobby G.