Re: Preventing Random X-10 Code interference...

> The TW523 is not a good choice for a diagnostic tool unless you modify it
as
> Neil Cherry has done. Even then it is not a good choice to measure signal
> amplitude.
>
> The TW523 actually outputs on a delayed basis. It reports the first copy
of
> the X-10 code during the time frame of the second copy. This means it's
too
> late to see a collision in time to do anything to avoid it. It also only
> reports part of the actual powerline activity so, for example, it does not
> report all dim/brights or extended codes.

> It also outputs an opto-isolated square wave that is in sync with the 60Hz
> line frequency. It's purpose is to provide a sync signal for external
> devices to input X-10 pulses at the proper times.
>
> Maxim bought Dallas a few years back. I don't know whether the DS5000 is
> still made.
>
> I would suggest an easier way to learn about microcontrollers. The
BasicX-24
> uses an Atmel µController plus an external EEPROM and inverter (for RS232)
> and is programmed in Basic (same dialect as BasicStamp). While its slower
> than a directly programmed µController it is fast enough and powerful
enough
> to handle most HA related tasks. It's a cheap way to learn, as the
> programming language is a free download, although its probably easier for
> beginner to buy the development system.
>
> If you later want to take a more low level approach, there are Basic
> language compilers for both Atmel and PIC µControllers that allow you to
mix
> assembler statements where you need even faster execution. The
µControllers
> are getting more powerful - faster with more RAM and internal EEPROM. They
> are dirt cheap.

That sounds like a better deal.  I'll look around.

> There are also many books and tutorials on assembly programming of both
> Atmel and PICs. Start at Reynold's Electronics www.rentron.com for PICs
and
> www.avrfreaks.com for Atmel. Spark Fun Electronics www.sparkfun.com is
> another good site to know about.

Thanks for the pointers.  In reading up on the HK site I saw a lot of things
that reminded me of C-Max and the CPU-XA which I guess shouldn't surprise me
much.  I'll start reading up.

--
Bobby G.