Re: Insteon Review

I can't agree about the response time. I've read where Insteon claims a 0.2
seconds response time vs. 0.6 seconds for X-10 but I really cannot see much
difference between pushing a button on the tabletop controller and pushing a
button on something like my mini-timer. Most X-10 modules will respond to
the first copy of the X-10 code which takes 11/60 (0.183) seconds to
traverse the powerline. IOW, I think most of the speed claims made by
Insteon (and UPB) are bogus.

I find RF range to be abysmal (~20 feet). That's not a problem where only
the two SignaLinc RF modules are used to bridge the phases since most people
will be able to find opposite phase outlets that are within range but it may
mean you'll need a lot of the RF modules once they have RF remotes (which I
assume are coming).

It's disappointing that they didn't design the RF units to act as an X-10
bridge but I can understand why - it would really complicate things. The PLC
protocols are just too different and the RF frequencies are also different.

Still, in my limited testing, I'm impressed. The interoperability with X-10
is a big plus although the fact that the more Insteon units one has (all are
two-way) the more the X-10 signal will be attenuated, tends to negate that.

Given the terms of the Insteon SDK license, I did not buy it. I would have
liked to use the PC interface to create some more rigorous tests but the
license would prevent me from publishing any results. :(

So far, the reliability has been 100% with no missed signals. Interestingly,
things like the CM11A, CM15A and RR501 will sense collisions with the
Insteon PLC signal. I will try to devise a way to test how Insteon fares in
a noisy environment.

In the past, I have not been impressed with SmartHome's engineering
capability. Somewhere, I think in one of their many press releases but I
can't find it now, I read the name of the engineer who headed up the Insteon
design effort. It was not a familiar name so I suspect they brought in
someone new for this.