Re: Software feature set for automation

I wasn't referring to X-10-only software such as ActiveHome. The software I
mentioned can/could accomplish lighting dimming and other X-10 functions
with other, more reliable hardware. I do agree (if this is your point) that
X-10 has contributed to the failure of HA software to thrive.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:54:03 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<EfKdnYyjyZfCaHrfRVn-3Q@xxxxxxx>:

>"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
><stuff snipped>
>
>> >What do you all think?
>>
>> That the even excellent software with deep financial backing that had
>these attributes in abundance has failed in the home automation
>>marketplace.(eg, Savoy's CyberHouse, Premise Systems).
>
>If I had to guess, I would say that Activehome is the most widely used
piece
>of automation software.  That's not a testament to its ease of use or
>reliability.  It's more likely a reflection of X-10's marketing efforts.
As
>I was going through my old module box I saw that I had modules from 1st
>Alert, BSR, Sears, Radio Shack, Stanley, IBM, Powerhouse, Leviton and
>Magnavox.  I'll bet there are plenty others.  That's an awful lot of toes
>dipped into the pond.  My take is that most major players have all decided
>that the PLC protocol isn't up to the job, at least straight out of the
box.
>So any software that was tied to these systems dead-ended.
>
>> What is needed for Joe and Jane is software that succeeds in  the
>> marketplace, and so evolves and doesn't dead-end as un-supported legacy
>> software. This requires that end-users can use the stuff they buy.
>
>Usability is the key, but it's something that applies to both SW and HW.
If
>module X doesn't go off when programmed, I think both parts of the system
>would get the blame from a naive end-user and go to the dustbin together.
>
>Again, though I hate to admit it, Activehome is still there while many of
>the others have folded.  The problem I have seen with X-10, at least, is
>that beyond a certain level of use, gremlins arise.  Whether it's noise or
>signal sucking or interference or phantoms, any X-10 installation greater
>than about 10 modules is likely to enter the "phantom zone."  No matter
what
>SW you yoke bad HW to, it's going to fail.
>
>Since Activehome offers no real upgrade path to anything superior, people
>really cluster at that level.  I say this based on the number of unique
>posters that appear to ask questions related to X-10 signal failures and
>then fade away.  The next step for many of these people is to either call
an
>electrician or move to an Ocelot or Elk.  Suzy Homemaker, who can figure
out
>how to use a Mini-timer and lamp modules with a little hand-holding, gets
>off the HA train right then and there.
>
>> Quoting from the article  "Home Automation: If you provide it will they
>> come?" in the July 2005 issue of Security Systems News,  "I's still a
very
>> niche market"  attractive to " people how have an interest in gadgets".
>> Making an analogy to homeowners' unprogrammed VCR's, "It's blinking 12.
We