Re: Caddx NX-8E - RS232 ASCII Codes

> Absolutely right.  They can answer a question from me and I'll explain it
> a thousand DIYers.  Or they can answer the same question to a thousand
> DIYers themselves.  However, since DIY represents a tiny fraction of the
> alarm market, they really don't care if they annoy DIYers.  They really
*do*
> care if they annoy dealers.

People get nervous when c.h.a discussions veer into security territory.  How
'bout we back away from it....

I think in that case the on-going monitoring service has to be considered.
There's little point (for most situations) in having that sort of system
without remote monitoring.  (and can we not sink into endless thrashing of
reasons otherwise?)

> ...are much smarter about it.  They neither encourage nor discourage
> DIY.  They will answer questions from anyone though they prefer that we
> (dealers) call them with customer questions whenever possible.  If an end
> user calls wanting to buy a system to DIY they get his information and
have
> one of their online dealers from his area assist him.  That, IMO, is the
> best approach.  They realize that DIY is a growing segment of the industry
> and they try to put DIY customers in touch with those of us who are
willing
> to work with them.

Yep, I think what most people want is the choice.  When deprived of the
option or faced with deliberate attempts to stymie their efforts customers
will turn on a vendor.  Much worse than losing a sale is poisoning the well
against future sales to all those the customer might influence.  At the same
time, it's probably fair to say that most customers are willing to work
with, and pay, a competent professional to help make it all work.