Re: poor man's IO?

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:56:32 GMT, Marc F Hult
<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:27:42 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote
>in message  <42e8fbfc.75967824@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
>>I wasn't aware that Silicon Labs now has a version of their USB chip with 4
>>GPIO ports.
>>

>>http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=349899&cat=1&itemid=446&;
>

>The least expensive RS-232 solution (not USB) I know of uses the 74LV8153
>which is in stock at www.Digikey.com  for $1.58 each. This is a single IC
>solution for RS-232--> 8-Bit discrete output using one IC and a few passive
>components.
>
>Writeup and schematic here:
>www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/10524/10524.html

I got some of these chips a good while back from TI, but wasn't
successful in getting them to work. I'll try the schematic wiring
and the exe program to see if I can get them going now. Using
some cheap 74hct259 latching chips, one should be able to get
~120 individually controllable output lines per 74LV8153 chip.