Re: Caddx NX-8E - RS232 ASCII Codes

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:xd-dnWd-6NzMjEDfRVn-rg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> People get nervous when c.h.a discussions veer
>> into security territory.  How 'bout we back away
>> from it....
>
> No one gets "nervous".  Some of the ASAIB post trash when I mention any of
> the problems within the industry.  Backing away from a valid discussion
> for fear of them amounts to accepting intimidation.  I don't do that.
>
>> I think in that case the on-going monitoring service
>> has to be considered...
>
> It's a simple question.  The user either does or does not want monitoring.
> If you want the service, order it from someone who is willing to do
> business without a multi-year contract.  NEVER allow the monitoring firm
> to program your system for you.  Some of them will change the programming
> access code to lock you out of your own system.  The excuse is this
> protects them from liability.

Which it does.  I would *not* accept advice concerning the security and
safety of my family from an individual that peddles parts alongside the
likes of Radio Shack and Home Depot.   There are many things one can do for
one's self.  It's highly unlikely you'll find a UL (or ULC) Listed
monitoring station that won't insist you deal with a licensed (or otherwise
qualified) dealer.  Those that don't are not listed to any recognized
standard.

> Reality is it's done to protect their recurring monthly revenue stream.

Pure "horse twaddle".

>> ... I think what most people want is the choice.
>> When deprived of the option or faced with
>> deliberate attempts to stymie their efforts
>> customers will turn on a vendor.  Much worse
>> than losing a sale is poisoning the well against
>> future sales to all those the customer might
>> influence...
>
> True indeed.  There was one firm in Denver that at one time had the lion's
> share of the alarm market.  Since I was located in Connecticut my brother
> went with them for service to a system I installed for him.  They tampered
> with the programming of his system, refused to give him the code and
> conned him on the terms of the agreement.  He exercised his right of
> rescission within the 3-day period.  They at first refused to refund his
> payment, claiming they were entitle to a year's monitoring fee for having
> sent a salesman to the house to get his signature and check and to program
> in their central station phone number (a five-minute operation).
>
> That company has not only lost my brother's business.  They've lost
> business from everyone he tells about their dishonest practices.  Over the
> years they've managed to earn the worst reputation in the Denver area for
> doing the same sort of thing.

What's the name of this "firm"?  Is it still in business?

>> At the same time, it's probably fair to say that
>> most customers are willing to work with, and
>> pay, a competent professional to help make it
>> all work.
>
> Most are but I cater to those who want to go it alone.  Some of my DIY
> customers buy online because the local dealers' proposals were over-priced
> or the protection offered was inadequate.  Others simply don't want
> monitoring and most dealers won't sell a system without a multi-year
> contract.  Either way, the issue is choice.

Robert's favourite word is "most", so let's put a little "twist" on it.
Most of the Dealers I know have no problem with installing a "local" system,
and yes, most will try to convince the customer that monitoring may be a
good option.  That doesn't mean "high pressure" sales tactics.  Most of the
Dealers I know have excellent ratings with the BBB.  None I know of have
"outstanding issues".  I do agree with Robert, though...  "Choice" is an
issue, but only after you've been shown all the options and can make a
decision based on your own research and the facts.  Try and leave emotion
out of the decision if you can.  I know that's not always easy.