Re: Caddx NX-8E - RS232 ASCII Codes

>> Like most alarm manufacturers, Caddx (GE
>> Security) caters to alarm dealers -- not the
>> public.  Many dealers will drop a line if they
>> think the manufacturer is willing to give
>> support to DIYers.
>
> From a business perspecive there's some logic
> to the notion.  Selling to a few well-trained
> resellers can avoid a lot of increased support
> and liability costs for the vendor...

Absolutely right.  They can answer a question from me and I'll explain it to
a thousand DIYers.  Or they can answer the same question to a thousand
DIYers themselves.  However, since DIY represents a tiny fraction of the
alarm market, they really don't care if they annoy DIYers.  They really *do*
care if they annoy dealers.  My business model (online DIY sales), vexing
though it may be to traditional alarm installing dealers, creates a
challenge for manufacturers and distributors alike.  On the one hand they
don't want to irritate regular dealers by seeming to cater to companies like
mine.  However, I buy much more equipment than most independants and at
least as much as any individual office of even the large nationals in my
region so they don't want to lose my business either.

> It's a matter of where the money is best spent.
> It's the smart vendor that recognizes how to
> work the fine line between the two markets.

Companies like Honeywell (Ademco) have such wide market participation that
they will sell to any dealer in the trade, regardless of the dealer's
clientele.  However, they won't even talk to end users.  The same is largely
true of nearly all security system manufacturers.  Companies like ELK
Products are much smarter about it.  They neither encourage nor discourage
DIY.  They will answer questions from anyone though they prefer that we
(dealers) call them with customer questions whenever possible.  If an end
user calls wanting to buy a system to DIY they get his information and have
one of their online dealers from his area assist him.  That, IMO, is the
best approach.  They realize that DIY is a growing segment of the industry
and they try to put DIY customers in touch with those of us who are willing
to work with them.

> There's little sense in antagonizing what can be
> a very effective sales channel (the end-user) by
> refusing to engage them directly...

I agree, but it depends on one's perspective.  From the point of view of
most alarm manufacturers, DIY is insignificant compared to the possible loss
of major dealers.  They figure if you don't buy from them you'll go to
RatShak or whatever.  They really have no idea of the skill and
determination level among many DIYers.

> At the same time a reseller that doesn't aggresively
> serve the local markets doesn't help either.  Or,
> worse yet, they do such a bad job the market
> avoids the product.  We've all met these resellers...

Yup.  They come over from ASA every now and then.  :^)

> But then again, we've all met (or have been)
> high-cost users too.

True.  I get a calls every so often from folks who want an hour's tech
support prior to purchasing $10 worth of merchandise.  I answer patiently,
figuring they may come back and buuy a lot more stuff later or they may
refer a friend.  It all comes back eventually.

> With the ease of webpages it's sort of foolish to
> keep the motivated end-users out of the loop.

That is true, yet we still see most alarm manufacturers hiding even
installation manuals behind a firewall.  That, IMO, is based on poor
thinking.

> No vendor-direct support but webpages for registered
> customers is one way to keep the costs lower.

ELK does exactly that.  Every user of the M1 Gold system can receive a
username and password to access all support materials -- even firmware
upgrades -- directly from ELK's website.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics