Re: Help with 7 Circuit Project?

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:wKCdnSd3EsnGCkbfRVn-vQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> Some panels, such as the Napco Gemini series,
> >> can be programmed to sound the siren on the
> >> first zone tripped but will only send a signal
> >> to the monitoring center after a second zone is
> >> tripped.
> >
> > This is along the lines of what I was thinking about.
> > I want to be SURE there's an incursion before the
> > police are summoned.  To me, at least, that implies
> > that more than one type of sensor has been
> > activated.
>
> With the Gemini system that's a snap.  You simply select which detectors
> will be ANDed and choose (or don't choose) to trigger the siren on the
first
> AND zone trip.
>
> > I'd like to figure out how to insure my system doesn't
> > get triggered by lightning.
>
> I live in south Florida which allegedly gets more lightning per square
mile
> per year than any other place on earth.  I program glass break zones as
> interior followers which avoids the most common source of false alarms --
> human activity.

Of course, human activity is what alarms are looking for in the first place,
so whenever you start limiting the system, you're increasing the chances
that a true alarm WON'T be reported.

The IntelliSense (now part of Honeywell) detectors I use
> only occasionally false if the storm is intense and directly overhead.
With
> a panel like the ELK M1Gold there's a way you could configure the glass
> breaks to be "lightning proof".  When thunder triggers glass breaks it
> usually trips several of them.

Usually, but not always in my experience.  The trick here is to figure out
what the weather conditions are independently of the intrusion sensors and
then bias their reports accordingly.  Now I'm not sure this means a using a
lightning detector of some sort, or monitoring the NWS via the net (or
better yet, by radio) or what, but clearly an "ultra smart" alarm system
would take the weather into account.

We have a large apartment house nearby with a large, outside parking lot.
It's bordered by open parkland and is the only structure above 10 stories
for a radius of 10 miles.  When there's a severe storm, a building hit will
set off anywhere from 1 to 5 different car alarms.  A smart thief could
smash his way through a lot of cars on a night like that because the owners
just shut their alarms off remotely, assuming it was the storm.

> Have the glass break zones start a timer.
> If any glass break zone is tripped wait 10 seconds before triggering an
> alarm.  If a second glass break activates within that time frame, take no
> action.

That's certainly one approach.  It's based on a burglar only smashing one
window, which is probably a pretty good assumption.

As a Floridian, you must be aware of what happened after Andrew.  There were
a *lot* of burglars smashing a *lot* of windows!

--
Bobby G.