Re: Software feature set for automation

On 7 Jul 2005 12:24:12 -0700, "beergut" <darylmer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <1120764252.435471.106840@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>What features do you think are most beneficial that current automation
>software lacks?
>
>I am interested in flexibility, extensibility, web based interfaces,
>touchscreen support, and software APIs.
>
>Seems like what is available today has sprinklings of each or requires
>very expensive hardware.
>
>What do you all think?

That the even excellent software with deep financial backing that had these
attributes in abundance has failed in the home automation marketplace. (eg,
Savoy's CyberHouse, Premise Systems).

What is needed for Joe and Jane is software that succeeds in  the
marketplace, and so evolves and doesn't dead-end as un-supported legacy
software. This requires that end-users can use the stuff they buy.

Quoting from the article  "Home Automation: If you provide it will they
come?" in the July 2005 issue of Security Systems News,  "I's still a very
niche market"  attractive to " people how have an interest in gadgets".
Making an analogy to homeowners' unprogrammed VCR's, "It's blinking 12. We
can program [all-in-one home automation] panels but the consumer can't
operate it."

Which implies that the software has to be useable, i.e., the end user has to
be able to make it do what they want (with varying degrees of professional
support). Broadly successful models other than installer-centric security
panels and high-end systems (Crestron , etc) are scarce.

...Marc
Marc_F_Hult