Re: Caddx NX-8E - RS232 ASCII Codes

> Would it be better that I return the Caddx
> NX-8E system and get an ELK instead.  I
> have a Lutron Homeworks lighting system
> and would like to have it talk to my security
> system...

Unless the Luton system can be reprogrammed to accept what Caddx sends, it
won't be directly controllable by Caddx.  Because you can customize the ELK
system's I/O it should work fine with your Homeworks system.

> It sounds like I probably won't be able to
> communicate directly between my Lutron
> and Caddx system and will need an
> automation system.

If you got the system from my store and if it's still in new condition, I'll
take it back and credit the cost toward a replacement system for you.
Presumably, so will any other reputable vendor but check first.

> If that is the case, will my Caddx keypads
> NX-148E work on the ELK system.

No.  The M1Gold talks to ELK's keypads.  Although it will work with
Caddx/ITI wireless devices, it can't use Caddx keypads.

ELK has a new release of the ELK-M1XSP which has the Lutron Radio RA
protocol built in.  I spoke to one of their engineers this morning and he's
going to see if it's the same protocol as Homeworks.  If so, we should have
the new version available shortly.  If not, they will implement the
Homeworks protocol for us but it takes two or three weeks to complete.

I've requested the EEPROM map of the ELK-M1XSP so that we can write
protocols in for clients who request them.  That may take some time but it
should be doable.  I won't hack their (or anyone else's) firmware but if
they will divulge the EEPROM map it's not necessary to even know the
firmware.

We also discussed the possibility of them making a user configurable
protocol.  That would allow experienced users and/or dealers to create our
own device control interfaces -- a major leap forward IMO.  Your thoughts?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics