Geezer Tracker

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>He's succumbing to severe arthritis and is just generally slowing down in
>other ways, too.  I'd like to set up a sort of "adult monitor" system that
>can always tell me where he is and gives me the ability to communicate with
>him.  I know it sounds like On-Star for the disabled, but I recall reading a
>few threads here in which some gentlemen had done the same for his
>teenager's car, with GPS and speed transponders, among other things.  So I
>know it's doable.  I just don't know whether *I* can do it.

Google on "Alzheimer Tracking". A cell phone that can be located is probably
the best thing for this situation.

>Part of the problems if that I can't really use anything COTS vis-a-vis
>keyboards or readouts.  He has trouble reading LCD's and fingering small
>buttons, which has sent me on a search for large button phones, remotes and
>DVD players.  I have a cheap but very rugged OFA remote with huge, form-cut
>buttons that he can manage with for now.  The problem is that I can see a
>time when even that level of manipulation will be difficult for him.  I'm
>not sure where to go from there.  I know about devices like Sip-N-Puff and
>other head motion controllers, but there's got to be something for people
>who are not completely paralyzed.

Assisted Living suppliers have very large buttons. Of course, the larger the
buttons, the fewer functions in any given space. There are proximity sensors
and field sensors that can create keypads on doors, glass, almost anything.
Some have been discussed here. Circuit Cellar magazine has also had some
articles on them.

>Well, any pointers or discussion would be welcome.

There are also brain implants that allow control of a mouse cursor but it
doesn't seem like he need go that far.

If he always leaves by the same egress, some type of proximity switch could
trigger the audio reminders. You could even use RFID in such a way that only
the wheelchair passing would trigger it.