Re: Eaton's Mass Market HA (Zigbee) system

"wkearney99" wrote ...
> But like anything else, if it's not reasonably inexpensive it's not going
> anywhere.  The market wants pricing like X10 but will not put up with its
> complete lack of reliability.

I would suggest that x10 does not have a "complete lack of reliability".
It wouldn't have survived it is was, even at it's low price point.
It's error rate would be unreasonable on an expensive system, but enough
people feel that it is reasonable at it's price.

I'm curious what the market is for the Eaton system.
It senses a number of things but does not indicate that it can control
ANYTHING nor interface with anything that can do control.

> power sensor if it can sense devices that aren't just high-power consumers
> like irons or coffee makers.  It'd be a handy way to tell if the TV is on
> or
> not, for integration with a home theatre and lighting setup.  As in, it's
> 3am and the TV's still on, or it's 3pm and the TV's on but they kids
> aren't

We will need to wait see what it can sense, but I don't see a need to tell
if the TV is on.
How many people use an iron a significant amount.  Letting coffee makers sit
on and coming back to coffee that was cooked dry and burned was probably
more common but newer coffee makers will shut themselves off before it gets
that bad.

All I can see it for is a very low level "security" system.  One of the
perimeter switches changes, and it dials your cell phone.

--
Bill Fuhrmann
Remove DELETE to reply