Re: 802.11 wireless home security

> emontene@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >for the paranoid networkings, let me tell you, filtering the MAC
> >and a good AP linksys with a good user admin password is enough.

Like Dave said, you must be kidding.  What's even worse about the simple
routers is their complete lack of any kind of security alterting.  I can
beat on my (or any other) wifi router until the cows come home and it'll
never once burp an alert warning.  As for MAC filtering, sniff out the ones
currently in use and masquerade as one of them.  Be patient.  Most of the
MAC addresses end up being on laptops or desktops that get powered off.
Step right in, run even the most rudimentary brute force dictionary attacks
and it's owned.

WiFi for home security seems like a terribly, ridiculously insecure idea.

Of course, all home security systems can be compromised.  It's just a matter
of how easily.  I'd prefer a hard-wired system anyday over a completely
wireless one.  A bit of mix-and-match might be reasonable.