Re: rockers? we don't need no...

> So if the lights are half dimmed and you want them all the way on you
double
> tap the TOP button.  To dim, you tap and then hold it down to dim (I
think,
> I'd have to check the docs).

That's less-worse than X10 but still a bit confusing.  It's tough to make it
'easier' since there's only the up/down action of a wall switch.  The added
side dimmer rocker on RadioRA units helps a bit.

> that's true but if you can tap 'either end' to 'invert' the state it is
NOT
> a true rocker.  the X10 units, regardless of feel, work like that if you
had
> a really really big switch paddle on them.  that's not what I'm looking
for.

The X10 switches are horrible in both feel AND operation.  That the
underlying powerline operation is completely unreliable doesn't help either.

> I think that's one of the reasons people think X10 isn't very reliable,
when
> you intend to turn the lights on or off you have to check to see what they
> are and hope you don't stutter when you press the button.

Yes, novice users would certainly question X10 reliability based on the
switch action.  Then, once they learn how to use the switches, they'd
discover the other reliability problems.  It's my advice they just avoid X10
entirely, it just doesn't work reliably enough to put up with.

> I know, the immediate comment is "it's not that hard to not press the
button
> if the lights aren't on" but that misses the point.

I agree with you.  I find the RadioRA switches to be very user friendly in
how regular people expect them to behave.  That it's got the second switch
on it's side helps manage dimming a bit better than ones without it.

-Bill Kearney