Re: detection of rain and close window

I am just speculating here, initially I thought of a rain sensor for
irrigation, but these measure quantity of rain in inches and would not be
effective for rain detection.

A humidity sensor would do the trick and would be more reliable, in theory.
Doesn't the humidity peak to 100% when it rains?  So you could write a
program that say when humidity above 95% close windows, below 90% open
windows...

Well according to this site:
http://wusatv9.com/weather/weather_article.aspx?storyid=5941 humidity may
not be 100% when it rains, but it sounds like most of the time it is with
more exceptions in the winter.

If you wanted a moisture based sensor try this...
http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Sensors/rainclikintro.html, but it
would have to be position to get rained on, and you may still have some rain
entering the windows.  The humidity direction may prove to be better as you
could close the window prior to it actually raining, but you may close when
it never rains.  I guess it is you decision, better to be safe than sorry,
or maybe not....

My thoughts would be the temperature/humidity sensor.  If you are using an
HAI system this allows for more programming as well.  If you had heat coils,
you can write a program in the winter to melt the snow while it is raining.
I have seen this done in Sun Valley, very expensive thing to do, but when
you have money like them, who cares...

Brett Griffin, Home Technology Consultant

Architechtronics, Inc.
get to know home technology...
p. (610) 825.7018 f (215) 827.5484

*top 10 reasons to use Architechtronics for your next project
http://www.architechtronics.com/top10.html

**keep up on cutting-edge technology... join "the EDGE" for free at
http://www.architectronics.com/edge.html